Making Smart Bets
Quickies vs. Manual Pick: How to Best Choose Your Numbers?
It’s time to place your bets on that huge jackpot you’ve been flirting with. What do you do: do you hit Lottoland’s Quicky button and have your bet slip filled automatically or do you carefully select your lucky numbers yourself? Since this moment could change your life forever, it’s important to know the pros and cons of each approach and start making intelligent bets.
With which of the below lottery players do you identify the most?
Player 1: You are face to face with your Lottoland bet slip, ready to fill it in and submit it. That moment could change your life forever, so you think carefully. Your son’s birthday. Your wedding anniversary. Your current age. The last two digits of your postcode. That number that keeps appearing in your life – which now became your official lucky number.
Done. And submit.
Player 2: You are face to face with your Lottoland bet slip, ready to fill it in and submit it. That moment could change your life forever, so you think carefully. Who better to choose your numbers than destiny itself? So you hit the “Quicky+1” button and smiles while your bet slip is automatically filled in for you.
Done. And submit.
Before we go on, there’s something you should know: there is no RIGHT or WRONG when it comes to choosing your lottery numbers. Each and every number have exactly the same probability of being drawn.
However, when we look at statistics, some number combinations are very unlikely to happen. And some of them are so popular that, if they come up in a draw, the jackpot would have to be divided among a very large number people.
So, if you are like player number 1, a manual number picker, there are some things you need to have in mind when choosing your numbers. If you are like player number 2, your bets are truly random, but some lottery players would say you are missing out the fun of betting on the lottery.
Like in everything in life, there are pros and cos in both methods:
- Most winning combinations contain a balanced number of even and odd numbers, low and high numbers and numbers from all quadrants of the bet slip. When the system chooses the numbers for you with a random number generator, it guarantees a none biased bet, with truly random numbers – which means very few players (or none) will have chosen the same combination as you.
- As the name suggests, it’s a quick and easy way of making your bets, especially if you will submit several games.
- Some lottery players say that choosing your numbers is an important part of the fun of playing. The excitement of using meaningful numbers to you, and seeing which of them were really drawn are lost when you use an automated pick.
How to activate it:
- Simply click on the button Quicky +1 on the top right of the bet slip, or on the magic wand symbol on each set of numbers:
Picking Your Own Numbers
- If some numbers have a special meaning to you and you believe they can bring you luck, then using them in your lottery bets makes completely sense. Manually picking your numbers allow you to give a personal touch to your bet by using your own lucky numbers.
- As mentioned before, many lottery players consider picking their numbers as a crucial part of the fun of playing the lottery. Some even play with their family, when each member chooses one number, for example.
- It is very difficult for the human brain to choose truly random numbers. We tend to follow patterns, even when we are not aware of if. These patterns create what some expert call a biased bet, which means, a bet that is not diversified enough. For example, numbers that form a geometric shape on the bet slip, or just odd or even numbers. Even though these numbers have the same probability of being drawn than any other number, it’s very unlikely that a combination containing numbers that shape like a perfect heart on the bet slip will be the ones to be drawn.
- As mentioned before, some number combinations like sequences (10, 15, 20, 25, 30...), the date of the draw, or any combinations containing only numbers below 31 (people who use days of the month, birthdays or dates in general on their bets), are extremely popular. Therefore even if these numbers do get drawn, the prize would have to be divided with a ridiculous amount of winners.
How to do it:
- On your Lottoland bet slip, simply click on the number to select it.
- If you are using an offer (received by e-mail, for example), you can either confirm the shopping card with the pre-selected Quickie or you can choose the numbers yourself by clicking on the name of the offer and opening the bet slip:
Whichever kind of lottery player are you, keep in mind the most important thing you should do to win the lottery: PLAY! The more often you play, the bigger are your odds of winning, no matter how you chose your numbers.